World Bicycle Relief is back to Pedal to Empower – In its 16th year of providing life-altering bicycles to people in developing regions around the world, giving them access to education, healthcare & livelihoods, World Bicycle Relief is holding its 2nd annual Pedal to Empower global activation campaign. On June 5, 2021 WBR aims to unite riders globally to support women and girls in need with bikes to help reshape their lives.
After a successful 2020 despite the chaos of the global pandemic. WBR plans to recruit 1,000 riders in 50 countries to participate virtually in Pedal to Empower. Via three small, COVID-safe, in-person rides in Chicago, NYC & San Francisco, Pedal to Empower has set a goal of raising $450,000 to work towards global gender equity – “putting bicycles in the hands of women and girls provides access to education, healthcare and livelihoods to break the cycle of poverty”.
Get involved by joining an in-person ride, going it solo, hosting your own team ride, simply spreading the word, or just committing to a donation. More details at: WorldBicycleRelief.org/Pedal-To-Empower
- QBP, Be Good & Bike League offering BIPOC instructor scholarships – Quality Bicycle Products, Rebecca Rusch’s Be Good Foundation, and the League of American Bicyclists have teamed up again to offer 40 League Cycling Instructor scholarships this year for Black, Indigenous, and people of color. The League stepped up last year with the Cycling Instructor Seminars to diversify their network of cycling educators, and with more in-person LCI Seminars in 2021, they’re looking to certify a more diverse group of instructors to help break down barriers and get more people from all backgrounds on bikes. Get involved & apply at: BikeLeague.org
- Win a set of Campy Bora Ultra WTO 45 carbon wheels – The same light, versatile aero carbon tubeless disc brake road wheels that we reviewed this week are up for grabs in a Campagnolo contest. Between now and May 25th, cyclists can enter the Campy raffle to win a set of the EU-made, 3150€ premium Bora Ultra WTO 45 road wheels simply by registering for the Campy newsletter and answering a few simple questions. The contest is open to cyclists worldwide, and you can only enter once. Details at: Bora-Ultra-WTO.Campagnolo.com
- French readers can win a Basso, a month of a Jaguar & more – In an oddly specific Strava Challenge, cyclists in France who log 300km of riding before the first week of June ends will be entered to win earn one month or a week behind the wheel of a fancy electric Jaguar, a Basso Diamante SV bike you actually get to keep, some helmets and other schwag. The Basso x Jaguar Watt for Watt challenge is open now, but only to a relatively small audience. Strava.com
Where to ride (with us?)
- Last Call for Gravel Blinduro this September – One of our favorite gravel events on the European calendar, there are only a couple spots left to enter this year’s Panaracer Gravel Blinduro! The 4th running of the 2-day blind enduro-style gravel race and weekend of hanging out will take place again in the Czech Canada region from the Stare Mesto pod Landstejnem basecamp, in the southern Czech Republic, Sept 18-19. It will be fun, and we’ll be there again to enjoy the ride, too. More detail over on Facebook, then register at: registrace.sportsoft.cz
- Sofiane Sehili helps Miss Grape develop ultracycling ane Creek is also hiring in manufacturing – French ultra-endurance cyclist Sofiane Sehili has paired up with Italian bikepacking bag maker Miss Grape to help develop a new lightweight lineup. Starting with Mis Grape’s Node Road line, their working on new lightweight materials & new bags to go the ultra-distance. MissGrape.net