Osprey already offers some of the best hydration packs out there. But now, there’s always room for improvement. For the popular Raptor, that includes the addition of a D30 BP4 Level 1 back guard. Meaning Osprey’s new Raptor Pro pack may be the brand’s most comprehensive option to date.
The Raptor Pro bike ($200 MSRP) pack won’t hit the market until Spring 2022, but this is what we know so far.
Osprey Raptor Pro Specs
The Raptor Pro pack features sustainable, bluesign materials, PFAS/PFC-free durable water repellant finish, and the included hydration reservoir is BPA-free.
In addition to the D3O CE Level 1 full-back protector, Osprey fits the Raptor Pro pack with the following:
- Fully padded front shield + upper compression for full-face helmets
- LidLock bike helmet attachment
- Secure side panel pockets + dual compression for storage of leg/arm protection
- Scratch-free heat-embossed zippered slash pocket for sunglasses and electronics
- Stretch mesh zippered hip belt pockets
- MTB-specific shoulder straps
- Hydration sleeve with direct-zip access + hose path
- Hydraulics LT 2.5-liter reservoir (included)
- Sternum strap magnet for reservoir hose/mouthpiece
- Bike tool organization (main compartment) + roll-up tool organizer (removable)
- Light attachment loop and a reflective patch
Osprey claims that the protective panel exceeds CE Level 1 certification. Through proprietary technologies, Osprey “engineers materials that are rate-sensitive, soft, and flexible as well as highly shock absorbent. This lightweight, exceptionally soft, and flexible design means the back protector provides riding comfort without sacrificing durability and protection while the highly ventilated geometry delivers maximum breathability.”
While many hydration packs rely on less-flexible inserts for protection, it sounds like the Osprey D3O insert will remain flexible under normal conditions. But like other D3O products, it should stiffen upon impact, protecting your back. The design also includes quite a few perforations for increased ventilation.
For more info on Osprey and its ever-evolving line of packs, check Osprey’s site.