There are a lot of bikes out there. But if you want a bike that simply is up for adventure, the refreshed Ritchey Ascent is worth a look. Over the years, the bike has always kept that adventurous spirit, but now the frame has been updated for use with bigger tires and offers the ability to carry more gear to get out there and get lost.
For frame updates, two of the biggest changes start at the axles. Now fitted with Boost spacing, the wider hubs allow for bigger tire clearance as well. The last Ascent frame also allowed you to choose from 27.5 or 29″ wheels and tires, but the 29″ options were limited to just 40mm wide tires. Now, you can run a full 27.5 x 2.6″ or a full 29 x 2.6″ for tons of options.
Built from heat treated, triple butted Ritchey Logic steel tubing, the TIG-welded frame has a ton of mounts including a three pack on the downtube and one on each fork leg, in addition to the rack, fender, and dynamo mounts on the steel fork as well. Able to run 1x or 2x chainrings, the frame runs a 73mm threaded bottom bracket, a 27.2mm seat post with an external and replaceable seat post collar, and includes a replaceable derailleur hanger as well.
Frame weight it claimed to be 2400g for a large without the 12x148mm thru axle and 1125g for the fork with an uncut 1 1/8″ straight steerer tube and without the 15x110mm axle.
Offered in four sizes, the Ascent will be sold as a frameset for $1,299 which includes a WCS headset and thru axles. Available now.
- Material: heat-treated, triple-butted Ritchey Logic steel tubing – TIG welded
- Rack and fender mounts
- Ultra-light forged and machined straight 1-1/8″ headtube
- WCS headset included (upper IS42/28.6 – 16mm stack height | lower IS42/30)
- BOOST 148mm spacing (12mm alloy thru-axle included)
- Replaceable stainless-steel derailleur hanger
- 27.2mm seat tube with replaceable seat collar (max torque setting: 6Nm)
- Front derailleur clamp size: 28.6mm (max torque setting: 2.5Nm) – not included
- Bottom bracket: 73mm – English threaded
- Can accommodate 1X or 2X chainrings (Side Swing front derailleur required for double)
- Crankset min/max ring size – single: 38t / double: 36/24t
- External cable routing (continuous housing)
- Bottle mounts: 2
- Multi-purpose mount underside of downtube
- Ritchey steel fork with multi-purpose, rack, fender and threaded crown port
- 1-1/8″ straight steerer
- BOOST 110mm spacing (15mm alloy thru-axle included)
- Steerer length: 300mm
- Axle-crown: 435mm
- Rake/Offset: 52mm
- Fork max payload: 3kg per side
- Wheel and tire compatibility: 27.5″ x 2.6″ or 29″ x 2.6″ (depending on tire/rim manufacturer)
- Frame max spacing: 78mm
- Fork max spacing: 78mm
- Post-mount brakes: 180mm max front rotor / 160mm max rear rotor
- Sizes: S / M / L / XL
- Frame weight: 2400g (size L – w/o thru-axle)
- Fork weight: 1125g (with uncut steerer / not including axle)
- Color: Sierra Red