Reggie Miller (ex-NBA all-star, hall of fame athlete, and current NBA broadcaster who happens to be a HUGE cycling fanatic) will lead the ride, and be joined by an all-star cast of athletes and teams, to raise awareness and funding for diversity in cycling and attempt to set a World Record for most riders on the Zwift platform on a single ride.
A lot of you will know Reggie Miller not from cycling, but as a former NBA hall of fame all-star, and NBA broadcaster. And if you don’t know him yet, he’s a guy with some solid celebrity power using it for positive change – bringing awareness and raising funds to support more diversity in cycling. Oh – and he’s also an avid cyclist.
SET A WORLD RECORD OF ZWIFT PARTICIPATION AND RAISE FUNDS TO DEVELOP CYCLING PROGRAMS AT HBCUS (Historically Black Colleges & Universities)
A truth is that road cycling as we know it – (that’s you & me dear PEZ fans) is just not a very diverse sport- racially or otherwise. It’s no lie that we’re living in turbulent times that sometimes look like the growing apart is pulling stronger than the pulling together movement. But I for one believe that the whole is always greater than the sum of its parts, so bringing more people – regardless of race, culture, color, sexual orientation and whatever else will make cycling a whole lot better place to be. It even make your local ride, and possibly even the world, a better place too.
To that – Reggie Miller is leading a ride on ZWIFT on Saturday November 6th , and you’re invited to join what could be the largest ever Zwift ride (current record is around 20,000 riders).
The cost is free (although you’ll need to be on the Zwift platform), but opportunities to donate funds are available from sponsors like Castelli, who are selling special kits made just for this ride and donating proceeds to the cause.
Proceeds from the sale of these jerseys by Castelli will support the cause – you can buy one here.
Ride With Reggie – Fast Facts
- RWR is a Zwift event which will take place Nov 6 at 7:00am PDT / 10:00am EST / 2:00pm GMT. See the ZWIFT link here.
- The goal of the ride is two-fold:
- Raise awareness and funding for diversity in cycling, with funds specifically being used to create cycling programs at HBCU’s, so really exposing a new generation to cycling.
- Set a World Record for most riders on the Zwift platform on a single ride, which currently stands at just over 20k riders.
- Money will be raised through the sale of jerseys, which Castelli designed specifically for this event (jerseys will also be available in-game/during Zwift ride), Head Thingies, and anyone can donate $2 to the cause, with the underlying belief that together we can make a meaningful difference.
- The ride itself will be 3 loops of the 2015 Richmond UCI World Championship course, and we anticipate it taking approximately 90 minutes. All riders are welcome and encouraged to join, even if they can only make the first loop.
- Partners on board to help promote the event include Castelli, who will be hosting a sweepstakes as an additional way to incentivize and reward those who participate, with prizes including complete Castelli kits, a Moots frameset, ENVE wheels, Fizik shoes and saddles, Kask helmets, KOO sunglasses, and a Wahoo training system.
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 6TH 7:00AM PDT / 2:00PM GMT 30.3 MILES
FIND OUT MORE & DONATE HERE:
More info at https://www.castelli-cycling.com/ca/ride-with-reggie