Having a tough time deciding what type of bike to get? Maybe you don’t have to. Pine Cycles just debuted their first bike which is a road bike, gravel bike, and a Tracklocross bike—just not all at the same time.
All three of those builds utilize the exact same frame, which is built from Columbus Zona tubing here in the U.S.
Pine Cycles states that they specified a 1 1/4″ straight head tube since it still allows for the use of a tapered carbon fork, but it’s lighter than a 44mm head tube. That means you can use carbon forks with 1 1/8 to 1 1/4″ tapered steerers, or any 1 1/8″ straight steerer with an adapter. The lighter head tube is part of what Pine credits for getting the weight down to 1859g for a 56cm steel frame.
Key to the 3-bikes-in-1 concept is the custom droputs built in partnership with Lichen Precision. Thanks to the replaceable inserts, the dropouts are capable of running 135 x 10 horizontal track dropouts, 135 x 10 QR dropouts for rim brakes, or 142 x 12mm flat mount dropouts for dis brakes. Pine mentions that rack and fender mounts are optional on all three.
That obviously gives you multiple choices for drivetrains including fixed or free single speed use, 2x geared, or 1x geared.
When it comes to tires, the frame will fit up to 700c x 35mm, 650b x 48mm, and 26 x 2.3″ rubber.
Depending on the tire, wheel, and fork choice, there are bound to be some slight differences in geometry from setup to setup, but Pine provides one geometry chart with separate trail numbers based on wheel size. For more info on all the compatible tires, brakes, fenders, and more, Pine put together an impressive spread sheet with all the options they’ve found so far.
- Steel Frames Proudly Made in USA
- Columbus Zona Tubing, Front & Rear Triangle
- Custom 1 1/4” Headtube
- Carbon Disc Fork Includes Custom White Industries Headset (EC37/28.6 | EC37/33)
- Steel Fork Includes Adapters for Standard 1 1/8” Hedsets (EC34/28.6 | EC34/30)
- External Routing Under Downtube / Internal Under Toptube
- Max Tire Clearance 700×35, 650×48, 26×2.3
- Max Chainring: 1x – 44T / 2x – 50T/34T
- 28.6mm band on front derailleur
- 29.8/30.0mm Seatpost Collar
- 68mm Threaded BB shell
- 3 Sets of Bottle Bosses
- 27.2mm Seatpost
- Carbon Disc Brake – Allied All Road Fork / 1 ⅛” – 1 ¼” Tapered Steerer / 12×100 Axle / 48mm Rake / 375mm A to C / Matte Black
- Steel Disc/Rim Brake – Pine Segmented Fork / 1 ⅛” Straight Steerer / QRx100 Axle / 50mm Rake / 375mm A to C / Gloss Black
- Carbon Rim Brake – Whisky No.7 RD+ Mid Reach Fork / 1 ⅛” Straight Steerer / QRx100 Axle / 45mm Rake / 375mm A to C / Matte Black
Pine x Lichen RASA Dropouts with optional inserts:
- 12×142 Flat Mount / Disc Brake (rack/fender mounts optional)
- 135×10 Quick Release / Rim Brake (rack/fender mounts optional)
- 135×10 Horizontal Track / Rim/No Brake (rack/fender mounts optional)
Additional frame details include a 68mm threaded bottom bracket, three bottle mounts, and a 27.2mm seat post.
With pricing starting at $2,100 for the frame and steel fork, the addition of a carbon disc fork bumps it up to $2,400 for the frame fork, headset, and fork. Pine Cycles is requiring a 50% deposit at the time of order, and preorders placed by December 30th will ship by February 2022.