It’s been a while since we’ve featured one of Julian DaSilva’s custom builds on this site. But that doesn’t mean he hasn’t been busy. On the contrary, Julian embarked on one of his most ambitious custom builds just after moving to Texas in 2021. Just building a bike, any bike, is an impressive feat recently due to constant product shortages and delays, but Julian knocked it out of the park with what he calls the Scott Spark “Copper Ore” Edition.
When you look closely at the build, you can see where the inspiration for the name came from. Julian tells us, “The goal of the bike was to be super custom but still have that factory look. I always wanted to have a custom-painted bike and I’m glad it was this one. My father passed away the week Black Magic Paint was painting the bike, so they were able to add a tribute to him before finishing.”
Julian asked us to post this bike today on what would have been his dad’s birthday as a fitting tribute.
Everywhere you look the bike is dripping with custom copper anodizing and painted circuits. Julian even custom-made the headbadge himself.
Copper decals and anodized hubs take the Atomik Berd Ultimate wheels to the next level.
Build List (from Julian)
- The frame is a Scott Spark RC, custom painted by the crew at Black Magic Paint (Metallic GunMetal Grey with Copper graphic circuit board design)
- Rockshox Sid Ultimate 120 with matching paint and graphics.
- Rockshox Sid Luxe Ultimate Rear shock with copper anodized parts and decals
- Enve Carbon Cockpit with matching paint and graphics.
- Atomik Carbon’s Newest XC35 Wheelset with Berd Spokes and custom copper graphics on custom copper anodized DT Swiss 240 EXP hubset and 54t ratchet upgrade.
- Teravail Ehline 29×2.5 F/ 29×2.3 Rear
- Sram XX1 Eagle AXS Groupset with Copper Anodized Kogel Kolossos cage and pulleys, Absolute Black Oval 34t/36t on painted crankset and Kogel Dub bottom bracket and copper Kogel bearing preload adjuster. Zirbel custom copper anodized thumb lever with hidden circuit boards.
- Hayes Dominion A2 Brakeset Front and Rear (I really liked these brakes)
- Tioga Stratum Spyder saddle
- Custom Scott Circuit board headbadge made by me (learned a new skill)
- All aluminum parts were anodized by Caustic Customs Anodizing
- Most graphics were designed by myself and Black Magic Paint.